Monday, April 28, 2008

The Job

*zap* It all started when Mr DJ's mama asked DJ and her sis whether they are interested to work as promoters during Saturdays and Sundays for HD Marketing for the month. HD marketing markets Haagen Dazs and is one of my mother's clients.


For you listeners who don't know what Haagen Dazs is, its ice-cream. Super premium Ice-cream, Exquisite ice-cream, Expensive Ice-cream, Rich Ice-cream, Luxurious Ice-cream, Grand Ice-cream, Sophistication packed into a tub of Ice-cream. You get the idea. The logo tells it all~



My sis agreed... so I agreed as well... and my mom picked the Bangsar supermarkets for us as our assigned places.

We went through a day of training. Basically, a brief introduction and history of Haagen Dazs, assigned supermarkets and supervisor, guidelines for the promoter like smile every moment, promotion booth set-up lessons and distribution of uniform. Wage = RM7 per hour. Incentives of 50 cents given to each pint sold. We work from 12pm to 9pm for 6 weekends. You do the math~

Now the juicy part begins...

For the first day, IT WAS JUST PLAIN HAVOC. Sister arrived on time but waited for 30 minutes before supervisor came. My sister had to follow the supervisor here and there before heading to the back of the supermarket. She was assigned to Village Grocer of Bangsar Village. The back of the market was CHAOTIC~! All the goods going in and out. All the suppliers getting approval. All the stocks being verified. Accounts being checked. OH MY GOODNESS~! After sending sister off, it was Mr DJ's TURN~!

Accessed the back of Cold Storage, Bangsar Shopping Center. Their basement storage is HUGE. Shelves and shelves of supplies and rooms of GIGANTIC FREEZERS. So BIG...

Given 12 pints of chocolate ice-cream samples, booth and other supplies. Started at 1.30pm. DJ pretty full of energy for the first day. Kept asking passer-biers to try the ice-cream.

Realized ice-cream was melting too fast, I finally decided to use 4 pints and cycle them every 5 minutes. Extra info, my booth is 10 meters from the Ice-cream fridge... T_T

The day ended with me so confused... I spent 1 hour packing... Carrying things up and down, to and fro the basement.

The following 5 weeks went smooth. Planned everything...


Mr DJ's booth.



Starting the day off looking like a mental retard... Notice the promotion notice is upside down... Made this mistake a couple of times... *hides in a corner*




A new thing for me. The GIANT FREEZER!!

Entering...


Eerie effect...

Huge Air Conditioning fans!

Small section of me samples.

Exiting after 20 seconds... I've got SHADES!

Another never before seen room... The staff room, where people sleep, gossip, argue, joke and eat. Does it look filthy?


At the end of this job, I gained SERIOUSLY A LOT of experience. One thing is because I never worked before. It was tiring... because I stood at the booth most of the time doing nothing. Walking here and there to change the sample pints to cool the previous one. Chatting in English/Chinese, inquiring in Malay and promoting in English. Haha... Hard usage on language. There is also substantial labor work. Carrying things up and down, down and up. It taught me to plan well and panicking can get you no where.

I am getting RM 378, not including incentives. *giggles* That's not the best part though. I get freebies from other promoters working there: 2 bottles of juice and packets of Lipton Milk tea. That's still not the best part. I get to KEEP the balances of ice-cream samples. Total would be 24 opened pints of Haagen Dazs. Some half full, some a little left and some almost untouched. The total costs of the samples would be RM 696. Double my salary...

*Taadaa* My beautiful fridge decorated by Haagen Dazs

DJ OUT *ICEZZZ CREAMZZZZZ*

No comments: